Having trouble connecting? #1) Your PHONE may be the problem. Here is a companion article about Refreshing Connections.Please refer to that article for some specific steps to eliminate problems with your phone or tablet.#2) You may have forgotten to do the mandatory FIRMWARE UPDATE. Instructions are here. ———–Connected devices work best when all the pieces of the system are high quality: the switch hardware, the installation of the switch, the reliability of electricity, and the quality of the phone or tablet. If one piece is weak, then the entire system performs at a less-than-expected level. It may be hard to believe, but connection problems are usually a result of problems with your phone or tablet. Read on for more information about how to connect successfully. How to Connect to Avi-on Avi-on products use the Bluetooth radio (not Wi-Fi) on your phone or tablet to connect with your Avi-on compatible devices. In order to successfully connect to your switches, you will need to make sure all of the following items are TRUE. Be sure NOT to use the Bluetooth pairing screen on your phone to connect to Avi-on devices. Only use the Avi-on app.
- The Bluetooth radio on your PHONE is ON
- You are within range of your switch (25 to 100 ft)
- Your Avi-on compatible product is powered and in good working order. You can tell this by turning the light on and off using the manual buttons if the product has them (switches)
- The blue LED on the switch is solid on or off (except for outdoor switches, they do not have an LED)
- If the blue LED is flashing, then the device is ready to be added to your network using “the big plus button” It must be added before you can use it.
- If the blue LED is solid, then the switch is claimed to another account and you will need to remove it before adding to this account.
- If the blue LED is always off, then your switch is not wired properly (or not powered or broken) (outdoor switches do NOT have an LED)
- You are using a phone/tablet with a good quality bluetooth radio and newer operating system (OS)
- You only have one app at a time per device running (running many phones on one device is called sparse network)
- You are connecting to the device using the correct User ID and password. Avi-on is a secure network with many-to-many controls, so if you attempt to connect to it from the wrong account, then you won’t be able to “see” the device
- If the manual button is not working correctly on the device, the device may be frozen or broken. Power cycle the device (unplug the device or turn the breaker controlling it off, then on) may cure the problem. Here is a link to how to test for a broken device.
If you have validated all the above and you still get the message “cannot connect to your avi-on network” then your phone may be having trouble reaching the devices. If so:
- Triple check you are standing near the device you want to reach and that it is powered.
- Please close the Avi-on app. This is done by “swiping” the app when in the multiple app view screen of your Android or iOS phone. Try to connect again.
- If you do not get a connection after a couple of tries, please reboot your phone.
- In rare cases with certain Android models, you may still encounter difficulties. If the problem persists, please contact Avi-on support for further assistance.
Note: performing a hard reset will not improve the situation.